AIME and Member Society Leadership Install Plaque at Lehigh University for 150th
October 2-4, 2021 leadership from AIME, WAAIME, and its four Member Societies, AIST, SME, SPE, and TMS, met at Lehigh University in Bethlehem, PA, USA, the site of AIME's second meeting (and first technical meeting) on August 15, 1871. There, the group held its 150th annual Board meeting, welcoming incoming Trustee from TMS, Liz Holm, to replace AIME 2019 President, Hani Henein, and turning the gavel over to incoming President from AIST, Kevin Zeik. It also installed a plaque on campus (outside Packard Labs) recognizing the close historical ties of the institutions. They rounded out the day with a dinner at another historic meeting site, the Sun Inn.
AIME then hosted historical talks from each of the Member Societies as well as WAAIME (formerly the Women's Auxiliary of AIME), specifically:
- The Original 22 23 – Mike Korb, SME Penn Anthracite Section Past Chair
- The Friedensville Mining District & the Birth of the U.S. Zinc Industry – Mike Kaas, SME Washington DC Section Past Chair, and Mark Connar, Historic Bethlehem Museums and Sites Board Member
- Ellen Swallow Richards: AIME’s First Female Member – Barbara Arnold, SME Past President
- WAAIME Then and Now – Beth Price, WAAIME Past Chair
- The Continuing Development of Modern Steel Products – John Speer, AIME 2017 President
- Los Alamos National Lab – Ellen Cerreta, TMS 2021 President
- Oil and Gas Then and Now – Tom Blasingame, SPE Past President
And, finally, attendees toasted to the 150th at a gala dinner and went on industry field trips in the local region to wrap up the celebration.
AIME Historical Talks Videos (LINK COMING SOON)
AIME Gala Dinner Videos, including conference of the Order of the Golden Fleece (LINK COMING SOON)
To see more photos than those below, visit AIME's Flickr Page (LINK COMING SOON)