George M. Humphrey (ISS)
AIME Honorary Membership in 1956
George M. Humphrey, of Cleveland, was nominated Secretary of the Treasury by President Eisenhower January 20, 1953. This nomination was confirmed by the Senate the following day. In addition to being a member of the Cabinet and chief officer for the Treasury Department, Mr. Humphrey attends meetings of the National Security Council by invitation of the President.
Born in Cheboygan, Mich., in 1890, Mr. Humphrey received his law degree in 1912 from the University of Michigan and was admitted to the Michigan bar. From 1912 to 1917, he practiced law at Saginaw. In 1917 he joined M. A. Hanna & Co. at Cleveland as General Counsel. He successively became partner, Vice-President, Executive Vice-President, President, and Chairman of the Board.
Mr. Humphrey was also instrumental in the organization of National Steel Corp. in 1929, combining Weirton Steel Co., Great Lakes Corp., and Hanna interests in iron ore mines, lake vessels, and lower lakes blast-furnace properties. He played an active part in the organization of Pittsburgh Consolidation Coal Co. in 1945, combining Pittsburgh Coal Co. and Consolidation Coal Co. to form the world's largest bituminous coal producing company. The organization of Iron Ore Co. of Canada in 1950 to develop Labrador-Quebec iron ore deposits was also a result of his efforts.
Following his designation to the Cabinet, Mr. Humphrey resigned from all his corporation offices and from all his extracurricular affiliations, including the AIME of which he had been a member since 1922. In 1947 he was the recipient of the Rand Gold Medal.