R. Livingston Ireland (SME)
AIME Erskine Ramsay Medal* in 1956
R. Livingston Ireland was born in Cleveland in 1895. From 1915 to 1917 he attended Sheffield Scientific School at Yale. He then enlisted in the Naval Reserve Flying Corps and was stationed at Hampton Roads, Va., and Morehead City, N.C., where he was Commanding Officer with rank of Lieutenant, Senior Grade, during the last nine months of service to 1919.
From 1920 to 1924, Mr. Ireland was with Susquehanna Collieries Co., a subsidiary of the M. A. Hanna Co., in the mining engineering department at Wilkes-Barre, Pa. He then moved to Cleveland where he was successively Assistant to the General Manager, General Manager, and, in 1951, President of the Hanna Coal Co. until 1949 when the Hanna subsidiary became a division of Pittsburgh Consolidation Coal Co. When Hanna was acquired by Pittsburgh Consolidation in 1946, Mr. Ireland was appointed Chairman of the Executive Committee of the latter, which position he still holds.
The directorships held by Mr. Ireland present an imposing array: The M. A. Hanna Co., Pittsburgh Consolidation Coal Co., National Steel Corp., Phelps Dodge Corp., Union Bank of Commerce, Mathies Coal Co., Renton Coal Co., Harmar Coal Co., National Potash Co., and many others. He is Trustee of Western Reserve University and actively concerned with many civic and political organizations in Cleveland and Ohio.