Edward J. Hanley
AIME Benjamin F. Fairless Award* in 1965
Edward J. Hanley is president and chairman of the board of Allegheny Ludlum Steel Corporation.
He joined the then Allegheny Steel as secretary in 1936 after nine years with General Electric Company. When the present Allegheny Ludlum Steel Corporation was formed by merger in 1938, Mr. Hanley became its secretary. He also served as treasurer and as vice president in charge of finance, and as a director of the company before becoming president.
Mr. Hanley is a graduate of Massachusetts Institute of Technology and of the Graduate School of Business Administration at Harvard University. He holds honorary degrees from Duquesne University and St. Vincent College.
In addition to serving on the board of his own company, Mr. Hanley is a director of the Mellon National Bank and Trust Company, Bell Telephone Company of Pennsylvania, Duquesne Light Company, Mine Safety Appliances Company, Westinghouse Air Brake Company, Pennsylvania Railroad Company, Titanium Metals Corporation of America, The Wallingford Steel Company, The Arnold Engineering Company and the American Iron and Steel Institute. He is also a director and former president of the Western Pennsylvania Safety Council, past president of the United Fund of Allegheny County and board chairman of the Duquesne University Foundation. He is a member of the MIT Corporation, the Pennsylvania Society and the Newcomen Society in North America.