Charles McElroy White
AIME Benjamin F. Fairless Award* in 1960
Charles McElroy White was born in Oakland, MD., in 1891. He received a B.S. in mechanical engineering from the University of Maryland.
After a brief period as machinist helper with the American Bridge Co.; he was employed by Jones & Laughlin Steel Corp., where he advanced from millwright helper to plant superintendent in two years. Mr. White was appointed successively, assistant general superintendent, and superintendent of the J & L Aliquippa Works, the latter position bringing him into direct contact with virtually every phase of steelmaking.
In 1930, Mr. White joined Republic Steel Corp., as Assistant Vice-President of Operations, becoming Vice-President in 1935. During World War II, he directed the extensive military production of Republic as well as directly supervising construction of extensive new facilities.
Mr. White became Republic's President in 1945. Since then, the corporation's steel ingot capacity has increased from 8,600,000 to 12,240,000 tons per year and product lines have become greatly diversified. Mr. White has also directed the extension of Republic's raw material reserves both here and abroad. He was elected Chairman of the Board in 1956.
Reserve Mining Co., of which Mr. White alternates as Chair¬ man, is 50 per cent owned by Republic and 50 per cent by Armco Steel Corp. It has the facilities to produce high quality iron ore from taconite and its deposits will yield 500,000,000 tons of iron pellets.
Mr. White is chairman, president or director of nineteen other enterprises and is active in many important civic organizations. He has been a Member of AIME since 1939.