TMS Annual Meeting 2013*
TMS' 2013 annual meeting and exhibition in San Antonio, TX had over 4,000 attendees. AIME Honorary Membership was bestowed upon Bhakta B. Rath. Additional AIME award recipients included:
Champ Mathewson Award: Jung-Kuei "Brian" Chang, Eric M. Taleff, Paul Krajewski
Robert Lansing Hardy Award: Markus Buehler
James Douglas Gold Medal: Patrick R. Taylor
For additional detail, see the individual Award pages under our Programs section.
The Minerals, Metals & Materials Society (TMS) displayed the best of what materials science and engineering has to offer the world at the society’s 142nd Annual Meeting & Exhibition held in San Antonio, Texas, March 3-7, 2013. Nearly 4,000 materials scientists, engineers, researchers and students from around the world came together to discuss and exchange ideas about materials science and engineering issues and technologies that have potential to solve critical global challenges in security, energy, transportation, and other sectors of society.
The annual event featured more than 3,000 technical presentations and special symposia, as well as nearly 100 exhibitors. Drawing attendees from industry, academia and government, the meeting also included numerous career and continuing education offerings, networking events, awards presentations, and a variety of student competitions and sessions.
Here are some highlights from this year’s event:
· Launch of a new energy journal
· Presentation of a number of plenary talks by materials science and engineering leaders on topics including:
· Approaches and solutions to aluminum supply chain impurities issues
· Global R&D trends, materials technologies, and solving society’s challenges
· Innovation in materials and manufacturing
· Introduction of new Young Leader International Scholar program