AIME Environmental Stewardship Distinguished Service Award
The Environmental Stewardship Distinguished Service Award was established in 1971 to recognize significant contributions toward the development, conservation and protection of the earth's environment and natural resources through sustainable practices. Prior to 2014, it was known as the Environmental Conservation Distinguished Service Award. The inherent nature of this award seeks to address the broad cross section of engineering, technology, and science that encompasses the realm of the constituent societies of AIME. Individuals, groups, corporations or non-governmental organizations (NGOs) are eligible. Successful recipients could satisfy the intent of this award through any one or more of the following related to sustainable practices:
- (a) Significant innovative advancement to knowledge and discovery
- (b) Design or invention of useful equipment, procedures, or processes
- (c) Development of natural resources while minimizing the impact to the environment
- (d) Communicating or interpreting the importance of controversial engineering projects or scientific discoveries to the general public
- (e) Outstanding service to governmental or private organizations related to environmental stewardship.